I’m a clean coal fan

Posted by Joe Lucas at 11:32 am, August 29, 2008

Dsc_0019
Well, there we were at Invesco Field last night. Barack Obama was about to give his big speech, when we ran into Cynthia Harris of Huntsville, Ala., who was proudly cooling herself with an America’s Power fan.

Our street teams had been handing them out all week, and it was nice to see so many people using them at Invesco Field!

13 Responses to “I’m a clean coal fan”

1. danny bloom says:

Was Linda a plant, or was that a Birds of a Feather PR campaign gone wild? The New York Times DOT EARTH blog has blogged with that photo today too. Andy Revkin, the reporter, wants to locate Ms Harris. Do you know her, or her email address? There is no such thing as clean coal, wake up sir…

2. debann says:

Clean coal? Please tell me where that is happening? carbon emissions from coal account for 1/2 of the emissions that are destroying our planet. Stop the lies!

3. John says:

There is no clean coal ! please
    Corporations have a monopoly on both electricity and oil. Oil companies are the largest consumer of electricity( refining oil required huge amounts of energy). Lets break the monopoly and embrace renewable energy. The hydrogen age is upon us .

4. steve says:

America’s power should come from clean renewable energy, not some fabricated lie called ‘clean coal’. Coal is clean only when left in the ground. Where are these clean coal plants? what will be done with the waste? oil and coal companies lie. . .
    this site is paid for by the same greed which landed us in Iraq. Wake up America before it’s too late .

5. cindy says:

I’m a coal miners daughter and a coal miners wife. My husband and the daddy of my kids risks his life everyday so people can have electric. So people need to think about that! How many people can honestly say that?

6. Steve N. says:

You people out there who think that clean coal is a “myth” or some other type of nonsense had best do a bit more research. Clean coal is a reality and is being used in many coal-fired power plants throughout the U.S.A. RIGHT NOW!
    I’m no “clean coal hack” or one who’s involved in the industry in any way. I live in Western New York and have for all of my 51 years (no coal mining here!). But I am one that knows that if America is going to compete in the world economy, we have to have the energy to be competitive, and what’s the most abundant fuel in the U.S.? And don’t forget…it’s all ours! Just remember that the next time you want to flip on your computer to fire off a note stating there is no such thing as clean coal. Take coal out of the U.S. energy mix you won’t have to worry about powering up your computer…or much of anything else for that matter!

7. bob says:

You’re right. Let’s go ahead and get rid of coal altogether. Then we’ll see how ready wind, solar, biomass, et al. can handle producing the nearly 50% of our nation’s electricity that is currently derived from coal. But then you’d probably whine that your bills are too high. You can’t have it both ways, and it is completely ignorant for you to think you can. Coal is a necessary commodity in America, and one that happens to be plentiful and cheap. I would have loved to see America’s coal industry — particularly in Colorado — have a ‘week without coal’ to show the whiners what life would really be like. I would have really loved to see that week coincide with the Messiah’s annointing in Denver. That would have been some beautiful irony. Get over yourselves, coal is here for a long time, and there are plenty of us in America that are happy to have it.

8. Dan says:

Bob,
    Eliminating coal immediately from our energy mix would be unwise, not feasible, and a waste of time to even consider. However, building NEW coal plants when alternative options are nearing parity with the electric grid is fiscally and environmentally irresponsible. “clean” coal is a load of crap. Eventually, coal miners, their families, their lobbyists and politicians will need to come to terms with learning new job skills. I don’t want my grandchildren living in a country which rapes its land, destroys forests, and destroys ecosytems for “cheap” electricity, and really, if you bothered to look inside yourself and do some research, neither do you.

9. Chris says:

There is no such thing as “clean coal”. This term is being bantered about so that the American people can “feel good” about burning coal. The fact that burning coal produces more CO2 than any other source and that the by-product fly-ash is a toxic waste (with heavy metals) that must be disposed of doesn’t seem to be a part of the equation with the “clean coal” supporters. The clean in “clean coal” only applies to sulfur (which is a bad pollutant). But to claim that the coal is clean is ridiculous and irresponsible. Just removing the coal from the land has destroyed streams, lakes and rivers and killed native fisheries and wildlife in those water ways. It has destroyed land (although regulations have made this better), the land will still never be the same. I can show you pictures of land that was mined over 50 years ago and has still not recovered (so much for clean coal). By the way, I have had coal miners in my family, so I know the health effects. They do risk their lives every single day on the job, which is why we need to refocus our energy policy on cleaner, renewable, alternatives to the same old coal or petroleum products.

10. Even though the Coal and Nuclear Power are dangerous and dirty they are providing more than 70% of U.S. power.The power companies know how to “capture” carbon emissions from coal plants and also know, more or less, how to store those emissions underground

11. Phillip says:

What defines clean coal, anyway? This is the first time I’ve actually heard the term being used. Apparently a lot of people don’t believe its actually clean, so I’m very curious to know what classifies it as clean.

12. Phillip: Good question. Clean coal technology refers to any technology associated with reducing the emissions from coal-based electricity generation. The use of the term clean coal precedes the advent of our organization. Back then – the mid-1980s – Congress used the phrase in reference to technologies that reduced sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and other emissions.

The initial goals of the clean coal program – developing technologies to reduce sulfur oxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, mercury (Hg) and other hazardous air pollutants – were a success. As a result, the process of using coal to generate electricity is now 77 percent cleaner in terms of emissions currently regulated under existing Clean Air Act programs per unit of energy produced.

13. Nowadays,many people are working in different job,and they are fighting for them,so you said I want to say,thanks for sharing so wonderful articles,and hope to better!