Yesterday, I was a guest on the “Diane Rehm Show” on National Public Radio.
I asked one of the other guests, author Jeff Goodell (who is one of coal’s harshest critics), about renewable energy. Right now, renewables account for a small fraction of our electricity. The Energy Information Administration projects that renewables will account for 12.5 percent of total U.S. electricity generation in 2030.
Even if you accept the most optimistic projection for renewables… which is that they could account for as much as 30 percent by 2030… where is the other 70 percent of our energy going to come from?
Goodell did not have an answer to that question.
See, we KNOW that electricity demand will be greater in 2030 than it is today. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy predicts it will jump by 29 percent by that time (even as we become more energy efficiency we keep coming up with new things to plug into the wall). So we’ll need MORE electricity, not less.
My question as to where the "other" 70 percent is going to come from drives the point that America will need all of its available energy resources including coal.